Re: [OM] New additions to the Living History Farm

Subject: Re: [OM] New additions to the Living History Farm
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 09:21:25 -0700
At 9/4/2020 02:19 PM, Mike wrote:
>The AF on Pany bodies undoubtedly slow as molasses.
>
><<That is my opinion too. It's easily the sharpest, and most insanely
><<dimensional lens I've ever used. This lens has Lightroom's
><<Texture/Clarity/DeHaze sliders already built-in.
>
>Sounds like high microcontrast characteristic of many Zeiss lenses.  Many use
>the C/Y 35-70 f3.4 manual lens on Sonnie for the high microcontrast and "3D
>rendering."
>
>The microcontrast can be mimicked in post but the "3D rendering" seems next to
>impossible at least for me.   Something to do with the transition zone/bokeh
>rendering it seems.
>Using the C/Y zoom one can not any LCE in post or it looks overcooked. I can
>tell on the smidgy cam LCD that the lens was used.  Mine developed some play
>in the barrel and not one shop wanted to service it in the US.
>They said they were used and abused by pros and then sold and they are a bear
>to disassemble.  I sent it to the Netherlands on advice from FM people who one
>it.  On my best adapter though it is a wee smidge off infinity focus
>now--drat.  Seems I need a shorter adapter now.
>

><<You end up with a 3D subject that has a distinct separation from what is
><<behind
>
>Would like to see the same image(s) as take by the 14-35/2, PL 12-60 and Oly
>MZ 12-100/4 with a suitable image requiring 3D rendering.  Suspect that is an
>impossible search.  The 12-100 despite the long FL often does not excel at
>subject/background separation and that is a bear for me to try and fix in
>post.   Oh the PL 12-60 has highest mag at long end and the macro
>ability/rendering is quite nice.  Am not sure can be smitten by an AF lens not
>made for mirrorless.  The 14-35/2 also is not very good for quick macro.  For
>some applications on FT and not MFT, one can see how it is attractive.
>
>3D rendering fan, Mike

I have had images with the 3D-pop look and part of it seemed more the OOF
transitions. So in my ignorance of Micro-contrast, I researched a bit.

I too would like to see some examples. There is some various opinions on
whether micro-contrast can be measured. Also the camera sensor must have
something to do with it? In my search I found this interesting article (note it
is a bit satirical):

https://photographylife.com/the-death-of-beautiful-rendition-and-3d-pop-on-modern-lenses

In the article he gives an example of the Nikon 24-120 f/4 and 85/1.4. At first
I thought my eyes were defective, so make sure you read the last paragraph.

Moose, you may recognize the cat in his article - same as your "Tuesday Cat"
posted a while back (3/10/2020).

Anyone have some 3D-pop examples? Or other lenses to wax philosophical about?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/amK2PhUuMomNuLUX8
110mm stack.

WayneS