Re: [OM] New additions to the Living History Farm

Subject: Re: [OM] New additions to the Living History Farm
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 21:32:07 -0700
On 9/6/2020 9:21 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 9/4/2020 02:19 PM, Mike wrote:
<>

Sounds like high microcontrast characteristic of many Zeiss lenses.  Many use the C/Y
35-70 f3.4 manual lens on Sonnie for the high microcontrast and "3D rendering."

The microcontrast can be mimicked in post but the "3D rendering" seems next to
impossible at least for me.

I guess I either am 3D blind or need clearer examples. I don't understand what
is meant.

Something to do with the transition zone/bokeh  rendering it seems.
Using the C/Y zoom one can not any LCE in post or it looks overcooked.

Sounds like a clue to me that post can mimic at least much of the effect.

I can tell on the smidgy cam LCD that the lens was used.

OK, but that's a JPEG, with camera firmware assumptions. It Raw from another lens were processed and put on the card, how would that look?

<>

<<You end up with a 3D subject that has a distinct separation from what is
behind

Would like to see the same image(s) as take by the 14-35/2, PL 12-60 and Oly
MZ 12-100/4 with a suitable image requiring 3D rendering.  Suspect that is an
impossible search.  The 12-100 despite the long FL often does not excel at
subject/background separation and that is a bear for me to try and fix in post.
  Oh the PL 12-60 has highest mag at long end and the macro ability/rendering
is quite nice.  Am not sure can be smitten by an AF lens not made for
mirrorless.  The 14-35/2 also is not very good for quick macro.  For some
applications on FT and not MFT, one can see how it is attractive.

3D rendering fan, Mike
I have had images with the 3D-pop look and part of it seemed more the OOF
transitions. So in my ignorance of Micro-contrast, I researched a bit.

I too would like to see some examples. There is some various opinions on
whether micro-contrast can be measured. Also the camera sensor must have
something to do with it? In my search I found this interesting article (note it
is a bit satirical):

https://photographylife.com/the-death-of-beautiful-rendition-and-3d-pop-on-modern-lenses

In the article he gives an example of the Nikon 24-120 f/4 and 85/1.4. At first
I thought my eyes were defective, so make sure you read the last paragraph.

When he started to rant about weight differences between old and new lenses being lead in the glass, I started to suspect it was not "straight"

Moose, you may recognize the cat in his article - same as your "Tuesday Cat"
posted a while back (3/10/2020).

Yup, still wanders in our yard from time to time.

Anyone have some 3D-pop examples?

One thing about the term "3D" as used here is that it's not actually about 3D subjects so much as the kind of subject background separation you get with 3D glasses for movies.

When I think 3D, I'm usually thinking about subjects that are quite deep, and thus impossible to capture all in focus with normal lenses and techniques, let alone use shallow DoF to separate them from separate background.

Here's a deep subject, with 3D/separation effect created in post. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Focus%20Stacking/SpideyStack.htm>

I think that "Pops"!

Jiggery Pokery Moose