Re: [OM] Edmund Scientific [was: New additions to the Living History Far

Subject: Re: [OM] Edmund Scientific [was: New additions to the Living History Farm]
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 08:01:27 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I have one of their white noise "surf synthesizers" that I found in a
Goodwill store a few years ago.  Lots of different settings.  Nice to have when
you need to drown out noise and get a good night's sleep.

     I had a similar one from Southwest Technical decades ago.  Made good use
of it during graduate school to get a good night's sleep.  I have no idea what
happened to it.

>Cheap plastic box camera, 127 (IIRC) roll film, won as a prize for
>drumming up subscriptions for my paper route. Inexpensive microscope,
>birthday or Christmas gift. Cardboard tube from some kitchen "paper"
>(maybe foil, maybe waxed paper). Sheets of foolscap, cut carefully along
>the lines to form strips. White glue.
>
>Edmund Scientific: individual lenses of great variety (presumably they
>got them by stripping out of WWII surplus equipment). Small piece of
>ground glass.
>
>Wind strips round and round lenses until the OD just fits inside the
>cardboard tube, then white glue on the two faces to form the adapter for
>that lens. Repeat for other lenses. Same for the microscope barrel, to
>fit the tube over it (two adapters, top and bottom, to keep the assembly
>straight), and one for the plastic ring forward of the camera's lens.
>
>Assemble the "extension tube" and lens, mate to microscope and camera,
>ground glass in the camera back for focusing. Film, microscope slides,
>click/wind, repeat. Photomicrography on a tiny budget! And the start of
>a lifelong mild interest in photography.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson