Re: [OM] Three & Dee & Tree [was New additions to the Living History Far

Subject: Re: [OM] Three & Dee & Tree [was New additions to the Living History Farm & Seeing the Tree for the Forest]
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 08:13:33 -0700
At 9/29/2020 09:48 PM, Moose wrote:
>On 9/13/2020 12:22 PM, Mike Gordon via olympus wrote:
>><. . .> The other lenses used with the same in cam processing don't measure
>>up in the microcontrast category. If you search 3d and c/y 35-70 should be
>>able find some examples.
>
>My eyes got tired, mostly with shots with other lenses. Am I 3D blind, like
>tone deaf?
>
>On 9/29/2020 12:12 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
>
>>Thank you. It's just some form of Birch tree that has the paper peeling.
>
>And a really lovely photo!
>
>>When I refer to a particular 3D look that the Olympus F2 lenses have,
>>I think this picture illustrates what I'm thinking. It's as though the
>>subject (tree) is separate from the rest of the picture. We can say
>>that it's all about the bokeh, narrow DoF, etc., but there is
>>something else going on that makes this image look like the tree is
>>actually sitting in front of the picture.
>
>I don't THINK this is what Mike is referring to. He refers to a difference
>that is immediately visible on the camera LCD; something microcontrast-ish,
>accutance-ish, shape of edge contrast transition-ish.
>
>In fact, the discussions of 3D on FMiranda seem to freely mix photos that are
>wonderful examples of background blurring/bokeh with those that may have the
>arcane magic to which Mike refers, and especially those taken with that
>paragon of 3D, the C/Y 35-70.
>
>So Mike, got a couple of ideal specs for getting the effect, subject, FL,
>focal distance, background distance, aperture, and ???

...Micro-contrast and near focal plane OOF characteristics. You're not 3D blind.

So background separation from the subject is not the lens 3D-pop being referred
to.
This sample photo from a canyon 180mm macro has 3D-ness but not the pop.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bbXUuMLxCkv2tns17
Longer focal length lenses would then be more likely to create 3Dness.

As to "visible on the camera LCD" I question that. I have noticed, at leas on
the Sonies, that the image can sometimes have that over sharpened halo,
implying that the displayed image is sharpened. It is even more obvious in the
EVF.

Magic Lens Hunter - WayneS