Re: [OM] Rocks

Subject: Re: [OM] Rocks
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 10:05:00 -0800
> First credit goes to the conceptual artist in the highway dept.; the rest to
> you.:-)
> Lovely rocks, well captured.

Thank you. I've photographed this sign a couple of times, but it just
needed the right conditions and camera lens.

There is a story behind the sign. I don't know the whole story, or the
person who managed to create such an entertaining sign, but this spot
used to have a flowing spring. A small pipe had been driven into the
rock wall and the water would pour out of it. People would stop there
all the time to fill up jugs with the water. When we had our
earthquake, the spring was no longer viable and the rock face became
dangerous, so the pipe was removed. The rock falls from the
compromised hillside makes it a deadly spot now.

There are several other springs along this stretch, so this spot was
easy to "abandon" for that purpose. I always avoid getting close to
the walls because there are always rocks falling. It's one of the most
dangerous sections of highway in the entire country. There are
early/late winter days when it's like playing dodgeball. I've had
small ones (2-3cm) bounce off the side of the vehicle as they
roll/bounce across the road. Very unnerving. The highway is also
extremely dangerous due to vehicle collisions. There are a lot of
curves through here, it's often slippery, rocks falling, distraction
of the scenery, and people in a rush or passing where they shouldn't.
It's the only road south to the Kenai Peninsula. It's also one of the
most beautiful stretches of road anywhere in the world! Miles of road
that winds along the shoreline with mountains all around.

Here is a picture taken right nearby at Beluga Point, looking towards
the East and South (it's a panorama). You can just make out the
highway to the left.

http://zone-10.com/d1/node/341

This photo was taken on the south side of Turnagain Arm (near Hope),
looking north. The Seward Highway runs right at the very base of that
mountain right by the water.

http://zone-10.com/d1/node/340

Here is a picture from up high on a mountain looking down at the
Seward Highway, and it shows the railroad that also runs next to it.
This particular spot had been widened and straightened several years
ago, so it doesn't show the tight turns that are up by Beluga Point.

http://zone-10.com/d1/node/311

Yes, the risk/reward ratio makes it a worthwhile adventure. I know
some of you are probably long-since passed the point of boredom with
my Alaska pictures, but sorry, you'll just have to tolerate my
insanity a bit longer. I have new cameras to wear out first.

AK Schnozz