[OM] Byron Glacier and Fall Colors

Subject: [OM] Byron Glacier and Fall Colors
From: Bob Benson <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2020 11:27:20 -0500
Ken said:

"I've discovered something else rather disconcerting. The older I get,
the absolute best lens to use for the next picture happens to be the
one that is currently mounted on the camera."

oh boy ... for me, anyway, this thought has really dominated my approach.
Two things have occurred:  1) the 12-100 zoom is just perfect for this ...
it's good enough for very good results ... and it's one lens.   2)  This
has spurred a two-camera approach to almost everything:  one with the
12-100,  and the other with a long zoom - 75-300 mostly.  Or if indoors or
dark,  I'll use the 12-40 for its 2.8 capability.   So, with the exception
of really wide-angle (and panos help here) and really long tele, which I
don't normally do,  I'm well covered.  (PS the improvements in post
software have significantly abetted this.)

In other words,  I've found that whatever disadvantages zooms might have --
perhaps mitigated in post -- the advantage of never changing lenses has
been wonderful. It's so much easier just grabbing the right camera.  This
has certainly vastly reduced the amount of gear I lug around:  two cameras
and two lenses.

While I've done variations of this (though not as seriously)  for a long
time, all the way back to a PL1 with an e3 as the cameras and kit zooms
along with one prime,  I really learned that this is good for me when I had
my cameras stolen in Chile a while back.  I lost several great primes
(e.g., 75/1,8) ...  but I did not replace them,  allowing using the
insurance money for upgrading the zooms (e.g., the 12- 40).

And, oddly, this has a related advantage:  I haven't had the urge to
acquire more gear;  I think this kit will last a pretty long while.
(Ooops, did I just blow my membership in the GAS/zuiko crowd?)  I kind of
had this feeling long ago with my OM2S's and the 21 and 100 lenses, though
they're not zooms;  likewise they did last a very long time in use ... it
took the move to digital to reawaken the urge to acquire.)

Bob