Re: [OM] IMG: Macro Experiment with Leica-R 60 Elmarit Macro Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Macro Experiment with Leica-R 60 Elmarit Macro Lens
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2020 15:42:39 -0800
> This is by focal length shortening and  thus reduction in working
> distance--not always conducive to chasing critters but results in less light
> loss than extension.

There is, of course, one other method and that's to use a diopter on
the lens. That can be through the use of a designed-for-macro-use
diopter, or a reversed 50/1.4 sitting on the front of another lens.

I've done both, and have had success with both. Sadly, I have
absolutely no idea where my reversing ring is right now. I lost it two
moves ago.

Some "non-macro" lenses do remarkably well when shoved into macro (or
near-macro) applications. The OM Zuikos 100/2.8 is very good for this,
but the 100/2 is bloody exceptional. Where the 100/2.8 could stand to
be stopped down a little bit, the 100/2 says "who cares". It can be
shot wide-open and still exceed the sensor's resolving ability. There
is a point where it just doesn't matter anymore, and the 100/2 takes
you far past that point.

AG Schnozz