Re: [OM] IMG: Macro Experiment with Leica-R 60 Elmarit Macro Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Macro Experiment with Leica-R 60 Elmarit Macro Lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2020 21:20:54 -0700
On 10/8/2020 11:10 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
I've been using the Leica-R 60 macro lens for a few days and began wondering which gave the best results, adding the dedicated extension tube or the tube plus the Leica-R 2X Extender.  So, I did a kitchen counter experiment.  Using kitchen lights and a shiny dime, I first combined the dedicated extension tube with the 2X extender and mounted the assembly on an old Star-D tripod.  I adjusted the height so that the image of the dime filled the height of the frame, and took several exposures.  Here is the resulting image:

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20201008-DSCF2180.JPG.html

I then removed the 2X Extender and mounted the lens and extension tube as it was intended to be used.  I took several images of the dime, which now filled about half the height of the frame, and cropped the resulting image to match the first one:

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20201008-DSCF2192.JPG.html

It is my opinion that the lens/tube combination is sharper without the 2X Extender, even with enlargement.

Certainly true. Hard to tell in the focal plane, because of the lighting differences, but really obvious above and below, as there is much less DoF in the telextender one.

I am ignoring differences in lighting with this setup.

Hard to completely ignore, as the one with hard sidelight highlights surface
texture/detail.

Nice and useful comparison. The only time I've been impressed with 2x telextenders was using the Vivitar Macro Extender on a 50 mm lens for macro. And since then I have better tools for that.

Thin Dime Moose