Re: [OM] OT: Automotive Rant

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Automotive Rant
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 15:28:47 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     My desire for doing it myself has a number of reasons, such as the sense
of independence, the lower cost, and rolling up my sleeves and getting dirty.
Plus I have the security of knowing it was done right.

     Now that I've nailed down the sources for materials (Walmart for filters,
evilBay for plugs and oil) the anxiety has gone away and the fun is back.

>Most of my vehicles have been maintained through mom-and-pop shops.
>I've had good luck with those as the owner fully understands how
>relationships work. Dealer maintenance has almost always been 12
>shades of horrible. The only stand-out exception was the BMW
>dealership in Littleton Colorado. The one in Des Moines was really
>good until an ownership change, whereas the one here in Anchorage must
>never get visited by the BMW regional inspector because they're a
>little bit more like walking into a Chrysler dealership than a BMW
>dealership.
>
>The quick oil-change places have been a bit more "adventuresome". I've
>had good success, as well as a rear main seal from overfilling. My
>"favorite" experience was with one Jeep where the oil filter was
>completely jammed in place. I had the oil changed multiple times and
>the person just pretended to have changed the filter. One day, I
>changed my own oil on that vehicle and had to resort to full-blown
>destruction to get the filter off. The filter was completely rotted
>away inside, and it was half filled with sludge. As I had purchased
>this vehicle used, I assume that it was stuck on that car for many
>years. I think I had it for over two years myself at that point. That
>filter easily had 50,000+ miles on it.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson