Re: [OM] IMG: Macro Experiment with Leica-R 60 Elmarit Macro Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Macro Experiment with Leica-R 60 Elmarit Macro Lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 21:41:48 -0700
On 10/8/2020 4:42 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
This is by focal length shortening and  thus reduction in working distance--not
always conducive to chasing critters but results in less light loss than
extension.
There is, of course, one other method and that's to use a diopter on
the lens. That can be through the use of a designed-for-macro-use
diopter,

Jim knows about that, although we haven't seen anything from his 135 Takumar with Olympus IS/L Lens A-Macro H. Q. Converter f=40cm  dia. 49mm for a while.

This is far my preferred method. So light, so quick, so easy, no lens changing and lens/tube/body juggling - and excellent results.

In a place like a botanic garden, I may be found palming one, on magnetic
filter holder, and popping it on and off.

The problems are two:

Not all AC-U lenses work well with all lenses. And there's no way to tell but trial and error, other than copying Moose. ;-)

The selection is not ideal. Many of these lenses are discontinued, and some are hard to find. The Pentax 67 T132 is so important to me that I had a watch on the 'Bay for ages before snagging a back up.

( There is an apparent difference between older and newer AC-U lenses. the older ones seem to generally have stronger curvatures. The diopter is simply the difference between front and read "powers". My suspicion is that most older ones are designed to minimize reflections between AC-U and main lens. Later ones have MUCH better coatings, and flatter curves. Oly's latest, for smaller µ4/3 lenses is a bit like looking into a black hole.)

or a reversed 50/1.4 sitting on the front of another lens.

Optically a fine option, practically, a big, unnecessary pain.

Getting Closer Moose