Re: [OM] Macro Landscape Stack, Proof of Concept [IMG: Macro Experiment

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro Landscape Stack, Proof of Concept [IMG: Macro Experiment with Leica-R 60 Elmarit Macro Lens--macrolandscape]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 22:18:53 -0700
Excellent point, easy way macro Moose.  Fixed lens digicams are usually easier
to coax into doing a macrolandscape.

Unfair? the TGs are especially designed to do macro stacks.

I rather wanted from 1:2 to infinity which is tough.

1:2 is hard to grok, as magnification, with sensors not FF. Quick shot of ruler @ about closest focus (1 cm in front of lens, ring light accessory manditory.) and some calculations suggest the TG-x goes to mag. eq. to FF 0.86x, or 1:1.16

So, close is a gimme, at almost 1:1

Far is trickier. Nominally, the Microscope Mode goes out to one foot. As the
example shows, high DoF extends that a lot.

I tried shooting the stack, then switching modes to "A", and taking a background shot focused on it. Hard, with this model, which is AF only and the central "spot" isn't moveable. Aiming it at the background, then reframing is quite problematic for adding to a stack. On tripod to retain framing, switch out of spot AF, and I get focus partway through the near "landscape". It does appear that the AoV remains the same, which would bode well for stacking.

Looking around, I find that the TG-5 & 6 adds MF, and a control dial to focus, which would solve that problem nicely. Shoot a stack automatically, then 1-5 shots manually focused further out.

I had a t-mount 28mm lens in my cart but looking at images form the lens I
punted.

OK, the TGs are 1/2.3" (6.17 x 4.55 mm) sensor, and the lens, while good, isn't fabulous. But we are comparing it to an old MF lens, used far closer to the subject than it was designed for. The guy's examples with the OM 28/3.5 look good on screen, but I wonder what they look like at 100%. Better than the TG lens? Worse?

Would need a custom short adapter to affix on the OM bellows too.
I don't know if there is an off the shelf good solution for what I had in mind.

Sometimes the hard way is worth it, Mike

Sometimes, the hard way is just the hard way, better as exercise, or for fun,
perhaps, but perhaps not with a better result.

Work?! Moose*

*The Maynard G. Krebs of Photography.