Re: [OM] When do you need more pickles?

Subject: Re: [OM] When do you need more pickles?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 11:29:37 -0800
> Or do like me: go to the Eastern European grocery store and buy real Polish
> pickles—the best in the world, and no need for adulteration.

Chicago has a huge Polish population and a fair number of them had
second-homed or retired in the community I'm from. Interestingly, that
influence had a major impact on the pickle production, not only in the
canning factories in our area, but also home cooking recipes. We had
this one lady in our church (former refuge that could barely speak
English) that was a master at making pickles, including the best
Polish Pickles anywhere. She was a supplier to the local stores.
Anyway, my mom wanted to try it herself and got really good, but there
was some unique ingredient or process that the masters wouldn't
reveal. It frustrated her to no end.

But my mom got an heirloom recipe from a great-great-great-aunt for
Bread-and-Butter Pickles to die for. She had corrected the recipe to
address changing ingredients and measures. I have that recipe and have
made them several times through the years. I'm actually pretty good at
making them and have made one slight alteration which I think has
improved on it. B&Bs tend to downplay one taste-bud, and my alteration
addresses that issue.

AG Schnozz