Re: [OM] DxO PhotoLab 4 DeepPrime Noise Reduction vs Topaz DeNoise AI

Subject: Re: [OM] DxO PhotoLab 4 DeepPrime Noise Reduction vs Topaz DeNoise AI
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 06:54:55 -0700
At 10/26/2020 09:33 PM, Moose wrote:
>On 10/23/2020 8:28 PM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
>><https://www.squarepixel.photography/article/201022001-photolab4-deepprime/>
>
>As a heavy user of NR programs, I am painfully aware how much results vary
>depending on camera, ISO, subject and so on.
>
>Pre Topaz AI, I tested the prior DxO Prime against NeatImage v8 on an image
>and NI whupped DxO. Not long after, I tried an image I was having trouble with
>in NI with DxO, and that fixed it.
>
>I've had an image the TAINR just didn't seem to have the right combo for that
>came out right with NI.
>
>Now with three different modes - and - a four way comparison preview
>available, TAINR is pretty terrific to use and find the right tool and
>settings. That's a big improvement in the latest versions.
>
>Only about 0.3% of my shots over the last several years have been above ISO
>3200. OTOH, one my my greatest uses of TAINR is at base ISO. For whatever
>reason, the default mode, with settings of 21, 1, 10, acts as a magic
>"sharpener", pulling out clear detail in a range from excellent to spectacular.
>
>I don't know how or why, but as Empiricist, I just know it does.
>
>Just to give an idea, here is a GX9, ISO 500 photo, processed using the three
>different Denoise Modes.
><http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/Topaz%20AI/TopazDenoise%20modes/TopazNRAI.htm>
>
>All of them do a good job of whacking the noise in the separators. All
>increase the clarity of fine detail - all with sharpening set to the minimum,
>one or zero. A couple add a bit of artifacty edginess to high contrast edges,
>such as eyes. And look at what Clear does for the red and blue clothing!
>
>And these are only one example from each Mode, many others are possible.
>Perhaps you can see why I consider Denoise AI to be more than just a noise
>reducer.
>
>So, the most I can say from this simple example review is that DxO PhotoLab 4
>DeepPrime Noise Reduction may merit a tie for NR alone, but is very unlikely
>to be a full replacement for Topaz Denoise AI.
>
>N. R. Moose

Your example is way more informative than almost any blogger online. Perhaps
you should publish this in a wider forum? I'm sure Fstoppers, DPreview,
Petapixel, ThePhobloggrapher, ... would eat it up. Or your own Youtube channel.
MooseInformative, MooseEmpiricist, PhoMoosesopher, MoosePix,
TheDiscerningMoose, ...

WayneS