Re: [OM] Tight extension tube.

Subject: Re: [OM] Tight extension tube.
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 11:43:05 -0700
> From: Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

> I am a little concerned because
> they are a very tight fit with each other, camera and lens, much more so
> than my Olympus Zuiko extension tube

First off, consider yourself lucky! Most third-party lens accessories tend to
be loose.

They might be adjustable. There are two basic mechanisms.

One has a springy bit of metal that is separate from the rest of the accessory.
You can gently “exercise” these springs with needle-nose pliers, and make them
a bit less tight. But don’t go too far, as it is easier to make them loose than
to re-tighten them!

The other, cheaper version has a slot cut radially (from the centre outward) on
the flange that holds the accessory to the body. This is a cheaper method, but
it is somewhat easier to adjust, and is easier to reverse. Again, gently
squeeze - VERY gently! - the flange to make it thinner, trying it in between
squeezes.

To tighten (or re-tighten :-) these, stick a thin screwdriver in the slot and
gently twist or pry the screwdriver in order to widen the flange.

I shoot a lot of OM Zuikos on MFT, and I’ve had to tighten a number of these
cheap adapters.

In either case, yours will probably loosen with use over time, and other than
building up your muscles, I don’t see a downside to just letting it naturally
loosen.

Jan