Re: [OM] Tight extension tube.

Subject: Re: [OM] Tight extension tube.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 13:16:24 -0700
From: Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
I am a little concerned because
they are a very tight fit with each other, camera and lens, much more so
than my Olympus Zuiko extension tube
First off, consider yourself lucky! Most third-party lens accessories tend to
be loose.

Not my experience. There may be others somewhere hereabouts, but my list of lens adapters shows 23 adapters, covering 16 different mount combinations. The vast majority are to adapt various old MF lens mounts to Sony E. (Plus maybe 17 extension tubes tubes of various sorts and a few telextenders)

Generally, they fit snugly, not too tight, not too loose. The one troublesome one is tighter than ideal. The sole OM=>µ4/3 adapter is an Oly MF-2, so no problems there. Then again, my lone OM=>E adapter, a Fotasy, worked flawlessly for my tests of the 600/6.5 against 500/8 and Sigma 600/8.

They might be adjustable. There are two basic mechanisms.

One has a springy bit of metal that is separate from the rest of the accessory. You can gently
“exercise” these springs with needle-nose pliers, and make them a bit less tight. But
don’t go too far, as it is easier to make them loose than to re-tighten them!

The other, cheaper version has a slot cut radially (from the centre outward) on
the flange that holds the accessory to the body. This is a cheaper method, but
it is somewhat easier to adjust, and is easier to reverse. Again, gently
squeeze - VERY gently! - the flange to make it thinner, trying it in between
squeezes.

To tighten (or re-tighten :-) these, stick a thin screwdriver in the slot and
gently twist or pry the screwdriver in order to widen the flange.

Or, worst case, insert a thin scrap of soft aluminum in the slot. :-)  My first OM=>EF adapter was a home machined one (not by me) that used the slit "spring" approach. The brass was too soft, and a heavy lens would squish it back.

Yes, it's possible to adjust them. But I don't find this kind of fussing as amusing as I used to. Hence my recommendation to send the tight tubes back and try another brand.

I shoot a lot of OM Zuikos on MFT, and I’ve had to tighten a number of these
cheap adapters.

Find a used Oly adapter. It's made to the same quality standards as their bodies and lenses. Mine came new in some package sale.

Multi Mount Moose