Re: [OM] Friday For Sale

Subject: Re: [OM] Friday For Sale
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 15:19:20 -0800
On 11/9/2020 9:04 AM, Piers Hemy wrote:
Ah, a Macrophotostand like
https://esif.world-traveller.org/om-sif/macrophotogroup/vl-dia-a.htm

On 11/9/2020 9:38 AM, Philippe wrote:
Finally found

https://www.alamy.com/leitz-aristophot-macro-photomicrography-camera-stand-black-background-image3178140.html

I know from experience that the Oly stand/bellows combo is a beautifully engineered and manufactured kit. I imagine that the Leica one is at least as good in that respect.

Two major things have changed the nature of this type of photography, making it
almost infinitely easier.

1. Lighting. Both of these devices use hot, incandescent bulbs, in housings with focusing reflectors and/or lenses, then mirrors below the subject stage to direct the light up. It also involves transformers, rheostats, etc.

All that stuff is easily and inexpensively replaced with simple, daylight
balanced transparency
viewer. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=22751> No fuss.

For opaque subjects, Oly relied on their wonderful Macro Flash systems. And yet, those too are cheaply and easily replaced with LED lighting. Here, an inexpensive LED ring light. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=22778>

Need side lighting? Cheap LED photo light or an LED or halogen desk lamp.

2. When this gear was designed, photography was all film. Let's see, film, high magnification and flash . . . sounds to me like lots of time consuming experimentation to get lighting and exposure right. Back then, and even with DSLRs today, focusing is through a reflex viewfinder; lots of careful peering.

Now, with continuous lighting and a mirrorless camera, you see what you are going to get right on the LCD screen. Focus is on a greatly magnified portion of the subject, far more easily accurate.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=22778>
What used to be a big production to anyone without a dedicated set-up and calibrated gear is now casual. I can be set up on the desktop in front of my computer screen from scratch in 10-15 minutes and have perfectly focused and exposed shots in just a few more minutes.

The one disadvantage to the Leitz Aristophot in this new world is that the trans-illumination lighting is on the top of the base. The Oly sans lighting stuff is smaller.

BTW, using the Oly stand with OM-D camera body and 60/2.8 Macro lens, one may do automatic deep focus brackets (up to 999 frames) - macro shallow DoF eliminated.

Macro Magic Moose