Re: [OM] The Problem of Display

Subject: Re: [OM] The Problem of Display
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 00:04:28 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Every site has to mess with the images, but can view the original on smugmug if
desired, but it is more work.  That is not messed with, AFAIK.
I believe SmugMug now  uses the Lanczos algorithm which is supposed to be good,
but a bit resource intensive.  They previously as mentioned allowed finer
control for the gallery:

https://negativemoments.wordpress.com/2012/09/07/smugmug-gallery-sharpening-settings/

It only applied any new gallery settings to images already uploaded if rotated
the image or anything like that, so in essence could individually tailor the
downsize sharpening for each image, if a bit of a pain.
They picked a default that works for many images just fine, but dumbed it down.
 Apparently that feature wasn't used often  and they bagged it.   I have
pestered them about this issue every 6 mos or so.

I agree with Moose tee-shirt has been donned yet again; let the photog control
the downsize sharpening algorithm, Mike