Re: [OM] Soft Focus, Abstract and Impressionistic [was Wednesday Flowers

Subject: Re: [OM] Soft Focus, Abstract and Impressionistic [was Wednesday Flowers]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 21:36:44 -0800
Impressive stable of SF gizmos used nicely.

Thanks!

At least, I can't be accused of having only one style/look. 😉I recall Mike on TOP writing (probably more than once) that to be successful as a photographer, one needed to have a consistent style/look. Of course, he meant to be successful at making money as a photographer - always his default viewpoint.

I like messing around with what photos look like.

I had my eye on a couple Minolta  85 varisoft lenses at one point but the
snipes failed.

I could bring mine East, some year, for you to try out.

You know, I may not have given it a fair chance. I did an exhaustive (& exhausting) series of my test board at all apertures and all half number settings of the SOFT ring.

Looking at the test shots again, I think I may have found 42 alternatives overwhelming. I do know I found the wider apertures frustrating, as it went from normal to very soft at a SOFT setting of 0.5.

Looking again, I think there are optimal SOFT settings for each aperture from f5.6 on for soft, but not too soft. and it may be the only lens I have capable of gentle softness combined with decent DoF. SOFT settings of 2-2.5 @ f11 look pretty good.

I may have to do some shots of 3D subjects now. 😁

I recall a cool technique when I shot more  E6 film.  Shoot one image stopped
waaay down and overexpose by stops.  Second image shot wide open or nearly so,
overexposed  by 1 stop and defocused.   One had to unmount the slides and
remount the two sandwich slides in a GEPE glassless slide mount # 7001.

A variation, for different purposes, on USM sharpening, which also used stacked film with different sharpness, long before its emulation in software

It is a very high contrast technique and needed to used in diffused light or on
a bright overcast day. Pain in the neck to pull off but has a nice glow and
still enough sharpness.  There should be an easy PS equivalent.

Shouldn't be hard. Take the two shots, layer in PS and play.

Variable Resolution Moose