Re: [OM] sharp + bokeh with the 110mm Voight

Subject: Re: [OM] sharp + bokeh with the 110mm Voight
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 18:14:33 -0700
At 11/23/2020 02:07 PM, AG Schnozz wrote:
>I do find it rather intriguing that Wayne's photos have a slight John
>Shaw "Close-ups in Nature" influence to them. I used to follow his
>style quite a bit until I went off the rails and decided that
>everything had to be Schnozzified. But Wayne is doing a good job of
>embracing Shaw's influence without copying him.
>
>There is a fine line between influence and copy. Wayne is on the right
>side of that equation.

After thinking about it. The hard part with macro/closeup photos is the narrow
DOF of the plane of focus. This has influenced a lot of photography of the past
(and still does today).

What I find liberating today is, I can easily take 5-30 or more shots and stack
them. This frees me to explore more subject angles. Albeit a tripod is needed,
as was in the past. This is what is new today compared to the past with regard
to macro work - liberation from the plane of focus. One can more easily pick
the background, arrange the elements of the shot, or change the angle of view,
and no longer restricted to high F-stop to further isolate the subject. The
other liberation is IBIS - although less so with macro.

I still use something I leaned from Rod Planck. It is simple thing. To
find/compose the shot with the camera first and then bring the tripod to the
camera position. Don't compose with the camera on the tripod (sometimes I do
though). This applies mostly to close up work.

some examples:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hXTp2UV2dvpzr1YEA    stack of 5
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XsnN7fSU9iGrC56n6    stack of 6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uiRUeFt5wmvVtjHT8    stack of 15 (iron wood tree)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uiRUeFt5wmvVtjHT8    stack of 66!
all with sonie 90mm macro - another fun lens.

The last shot of 66 images I used a technique I learned from FredMiranda forum.
Namely:

I used the Sonie bluetooth remote to increment the focus and fire the shutter.
Never having to touch the camera or lens. The focus increment is quite fine and
I could have incremented more between shots. It was an experiment. Not doable
with the manual focus 110mm Voigtlander, although can fire the shutter with
manual focus, hence this was shot with 90mm which has camera focus ability.

WayneS