Re: [OM] Which soft, How Soft? [was soft addiction]

Subject: Re: [OM] Which soft, How Soft? [was soft addiction]
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2022 09:01:38 -0700
At 11/19/2022 10:59 PM, Moose wrote:

>On 11/19/2022 7:47 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:

>>>In fairness, the LB Velvet series are about overall effect, including glow
>>>at wider apertures. I guess their Sweet or Twist lenses might get closer, or
>>>even the Soft.
>>>
>>>I sort of intend to run a series with several 50-ish mm lenses. I moved the
>>>pot to a spot that gets some sun this time of year. Today. fast moving
>>>clouds were changing the light drastically. I did take one with aÃ?  vintage
>>>lens, Canon 58/1.2 @ f1.2, 1961 optical design. Brightened up a bit from
>>>straight out of
>>>camera.<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Olympus_List/Posts&image=_DSC0146rot.jpg>
>>>
>>>You might prefer f2.0 or f2.8, but those will have to await more propitious
>>>light.
>>I have the canon 50mm 1.2 LTM version and has a similar look. Not sure if the
>>lens formula is similar to the 58mm FD version. I do find it takes the right
>>compositional situation to make it work. The busy bokeh can easily distract
>>as much as add. Thanks for creating this example, it satisfies my curiosity.
>
>Still stumbling along with these lenses. A problem with the photos that
>started this is that, while I like them as still life art, they are limited in
>showing bokeh, with only the grass so close behind the pot.
>
>Here's a series with background varying widely in distance, from leaves  over
>the subject, through leaves 6+ feet back and trees at infinity.
><http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Soft%20Focus/Fallen%20Pot/Canonf12Pot.htm>
>
>I'm still worrying this bone, so more may well come. I did a series with
>different lenses, but the light messed with me. PS magic may solve that.
>
>Gnawing Moose

Thanks for this demo. The 58/1.2 may not be quite the same as my Canon 50mm/1.2
LTM. I don't have any good examples showing various background distances. I'm
wondering what speed your 1.2 short?

I came across a discussion on FM about how EFCS can affect bokeh at high
shutter speeds, which often can happen when using fast lenses wide open.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1625777/84

"You are 100% right that the bokeh is busy in this shot. The reason is not the
lens though. Those half-circles mean you're shooting using EFCS, which when
combined with high shutter speed (due to f1.2) ultimately degrades background
blur smoothness."

I have not tested this with my lenses but I do shoot with EFCS. Not sure I
fully understand what is going on with EFCS?

WayenS