Re: [OM] Any thoughts on the new PL 100-400 or G9II?

Subject: Re: [OM] Any thoughts on the new PL 100-400 or G9II?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 19:15:53 -0700
On 9/16/2023 4:33 PM, usher99--- via olympus wrote:
I am not seeing any killer features on the G9II compared to the OM-1

I didn't even know of its existence until now. Carol fell ill and a test confirmed Covid on the 13th. As others were in a shared house, we had to get out. We've been hiding out at a remote Maine AirB&B since. I went symptomatic on the 14th, and have had various degrees of brain fog until late yesterday.

G9II is larger in every dimension and weighs more. The "prism" bump is huge! The OM-1 at least makes that bump small. I loved the GX9 form factor, but it's not to be. . . Two of those bodies have already gone on.
but the IS works well with panny lenses and it has a few more megapickles, but
not enough to make much of a difference.

Ctein is of the opinion that an increase of 20% is the minimum for any possible increase in visible resolution. Remember that linear resolution is what we see, and that's half of MP increase, so 12.5%. I just think it won't be noticeable in practice, what with noise, motion (both camera and subject), etc. I certainly don't feel that my A7C has an edge on the OM-1.

The PL 100-400 ver II now works with TC's and seems to go natively to 1:2 for
macro.  Not sure how much the optics have changedv.

Does it allow TCs to poke into the rear? Rear element of old one is almost out the back. 😁  If so, and what with closer focus, I imagine pretty extensive redesign. Not necessarily bad, just means the old version tells us nothing.

  and have seen only a few early reviews and no comparisons yet to ver I or the
OMZ version.
Upgrade, swap to larger Oly version or stand pat, Mike

Without a serious review, it's impossible to know how the G9II compares to OM-1 on computational photography. "Phase Hybrid AF System" sounds good. Their "guess where to focus, focus then confirm/fine tune" system is pretty good but occasionally is a pain, refusing to get it right. Better than OM-1 I doubt. Virtual NR filters?

They have some form of "oops, go back a little bit", but no details. There is definitely a learning curve to using OM's ProMode, but damn it's good when used properly. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Olympus_List/Posts&image=_A000669cr.jpg> Walk into a garden with hummers at work, switch to C4, and fire away.

The G9II "recognizes cars, motorcycles, and animal eyes" OM-1 bird focus is excellent. And I want flutterbys waaay before motorcycles.

And then, I've sort of fallen for the 12-200. Yeah, I know, crap at the long end. Except, in practice, with contemporary post processing tools, not so much. OM-1 with 12-200 is an awesome walk around combo. Used in tandem with 100-400 and TC, the 12-200 isn't used over 140 mm, anyway.

Nothing there I see to raise much more than a yawn here. 😉

Fog Lifting Moose