Re: [OM] OT: Throttled speed on ethernet extender

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Throttled speed on ethernet extender
From: usher99--- via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 23:48:14 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: "usher99@xxxxxxx" <usher99@xxxxxxx>
Appreciate the other discussions.  I checked the Sonos amp/port and both are
10/100 devices and the Vera controller is unknown but likely is as well. The
Fruit company TV box is clearly gigabit and does require the speed--- period.
The other devices are only used ad hoc to update firmware though I do run
Anthem room correction on occasion and the 100 Mbps fast speed is probably
required.   AG/AK point about just using wifi is well taken but the Vera
Controller MUST be wired to be stable.  It can take an hour to configure due to
slow booting time and would screw up on wifi routinely as in once every other
week, and I haven't touched it in 2 years while wired to ethernet.
The new "extender/Moca adapter" clearly doesn't negotiate at all and  puts a
gun to the head of anything but a computer so far and says you will run at
10/10 if at all.  I'll confirm the gigbit devices don't bother it and perhaps
get a second switch and plug them and see if Verizon will wave the fee for the
Moca adapter and use it at least for the vera.  The others might have to go to
wifi or see how they do at 10/10 unless I want to run Cat 6? cable.   The wifi
6E is nice on the new modem/router wifi thing but the "upgrade" was more than a
headache than benefit.  I think I want to take out my OM-2 for spin after my
4AM to 9 PM week rounding and avoid digital headaches.
"Upgraded" Mike