Re: [OM] Juvenile Bald Eagle

Subject: Re: [OM] Juvenile Bald Eagle
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 20:55:58 -0800
On 2/29/2024 7:50 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 2/29/2024 03:22 AM, you wrote:

Mike forwarded the original ORF file to me.

I think this is a pretty good
version.<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Usher/WetBaldie.htm>

WayneS, just short of over the top? Without flipping back and forth, just let it settle a bit.
🙂

Processing Posts Moose
I think it is pretty good. It sits well.

Thanks, I'll take that!

Working from the raw file always helps as one can possibly minimize things like
the blob before the blob gets enhanced from the conversion. Taking care of it
before boosting contrast, for instance.

Yup

I remember once I forgot to change ACR to output in 16 bit. 8 bit mode limits
shadow recovery.

 It does other things, too. I can even change colors. Ages ago, I tried to understand it. On one file it would be trouble, but not on others. I gave up. Even if working on a JPEG from someone, I immediately change to 16 bit, before other processing.

One tool I have been testing lately, with careful adjustments, is the HDR
Toning adjustment. I say careful as one can blow the photo out very easily. I'm
curious if you have tried it in PS?

One area I use it is when the standard profile curves do not work so well. I
then try a linear profile curve. The linear curve gives a flatter image, but
one can then recover detail that might get blown out with a standard curve. You
can find one athttps://goodlight.us/linear-profiles.html

on the TK Panels & Videos page, one can download TK Lum-Mask (generates
luminosity masks - free). Dave Kelly uses it a low and I have become a fan. Using a
mid-tones mask on an adjustment can help prevent blowing out highlights and shadows.
https://goodlight.us/panels-and-videos.html

I don't know anything about any of that stuff. I rather imagine I do much the same things with Exposure, highlight, shadow, white and black points in LR, then Highlight/Shadow, Levels, Curves, LCE, bright/contrast, etc. in PS. Certainly I mess with the curve, often differently in different parts of the image, using masks, opacity, etc. As I know the tools I use, and get results I like, almost always, I'm not eager to learn other paths to the same end.

I've added to the Wet Eagle roll-over, to show the first two steps, LR adjustments and cleaning up the rain stuff.. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Usher/WetBaldie.htm>

Sinuous Moose