[OM] Buena Park Oly fest

Subject: [OM] Buena Park Oly fest
From: JNVS44B@xxxxxxxxxxx (MR THOMAS N CURLEE)
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 21:22:15, -0500
A few of us got together on Sunday afternoon after the Buena Park
camera show.  For those out of state or out of country Buena Park is
20 - 30 miles southeast from Los Angeles.  The show site was about 1
mile north of Knotts Berry Farm.  While it was a smaller than
expected turnout (Memorial Day weekend may not have been the best
date) we had a great time, putting some faces with the names and
getting to look over some equipment some of us don't usually see.
The attendees were: Gary Schloss, Kerry Frohling, Warren Kato, Tom
Curlee (me), and a couple from Santa Ana that needed to leave and
whose name I forgot (sorry, please email me with details).

Kerry and I arrived at the show about 2:00 and really didn't have
time to see everything.  While there were still some equipment out at
3:45 the show officially closes at 3:00 so things started to be
packed up sooner than we would have liked.  This was the first camera
show I had been to in almost 30 years so it was fun to look.

Olympus stuff:  lots of OM-1's and 2's and even more OM-10's.  Saw a
OM-1 for $85.  I didn't see anything really exotic from Olympus - 1
or 2 100 - 200mm zooms, a 35/2, a 24/2.8, a 50/3.5 macro were about
as exotic as it got that late.  There was a near mint OM-2S for
around $250 or $275.  One table said they had sold a 300/4.5 for $500
earlier. I didn't see any OM-4's or OM-3's.  I don't think Warren or
Gary bought any Oly gear.  I found a 'broken' Winder 1 that they
wanted $20 for and talked them down to $10 and a 100/2.8 shade for $5.
  Kerry found a clean Winder 1 for $45.  Later I found that the lower
plastic housing on my winder was cracked BUT the winder seems to work
fine.

Gary, Kerry, and I went across the street and had dinner (Warren
needed to leave).  We got to play with Gary's OM-4 and assorted
lenses.  Kerry said he didn't want to look at it because he was sure
he would want one and it wasn't in the budget (but he looked anyway!)
 Hmmmmm, now where can I get one.

We all had a great time and probably will have another meeting later
in the summer when more people can come.  I hope more can make it
next time.

Tom