Re: [OM] OM1s [Was: The Unofficial Olympus OM SIF: phase 2/10 completed

Subject: Re: [OM] OM1s [Was: The Unofficial Olympus OM SIF: phase 2/10 completed!]
From: "Wiese" <wiese@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 21:09:35 +1100
Frank Ernens wrote:

>[ I ] use an OM-1 for
>walking and skiing (I don't climb) in poor conditions. Seems
>to cope with blizzards, floods, rope crossings, sandstorms
>etc.

That's for sure; I've banged mine on walls, cliffs, splashed it while
kayaking, dropped bags it was in, and every time I peer fearfully at it,
expecting the worst, I can usually barely tell where it's been touched, and
then it cleans up fine - speeds dead on, seals all good, and no dings - it's
never let me down <...touches wood...>

>Good OM-1N's + 50's cost almost as much as 2000's with 35-70 zooms
>here, but are rather scarce.

Ouch; so far I've found that, with a few exceptions, OM1(n)s go for about
$350 AUD in top shape with a 50/1.8, maybe $400 AUD for seriously spotless,
or with a 50/1.4; while the OM2K is around $650 AUD with the zoom, too dear,
IMHO, for it to compete much (though it's not too bad for a spot meter with
camera, I guess).  Trying to find them on a regular basis in stores though,
especially at reasonable prices, can be hopeless though, I agree - there's a
little more luck to be had hunting down private sales, though YMMV, of
course.

Cheers

Andy       ----- will anyone be at Ultimo on Sun. now that Foxy's piked <g>
?
wiese@xxxxxxxxxx
ICQ# 12366792

"Egyptian pharoahs fell from the sky...
Fell from the sky, and played the blues"
                        - Transglobal Underground