Re: [OM] OT: New Mamiya MF AF

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: New Mamiya MF AF
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 07:13:29 +0200
>So far, what I've seen in this press release and with the Pentax is first
>generation 35mm-AF being incorporated into medium format.  Wheras the
>pro-35's have gone onto multi-spot focusing with tracking and
>vertical/horizontal sensors and variations on the ultrasonic motor theme,
>these 645AF models seem to be lacking a bit in that department.  I do like
>the data imprinting on the medium format models though and I believe that
>the Pentax even records which lens was used.

With the Pentax 645N, it's not first generation AF, but the same AF
technique, which they use in the MZ-5, MZ-5n and MZ-3 series. They call it
SAFOX IV, it has three H orientated sensors. It's true, that all these
Pentax cameras make a little bit noise, especially when compared with EOS,
but the AF works fast and precise. When I tried the Pentax 645N in a shop,
I wasn't annoyed by the sound.

Matthias