Re: [OM] Zuiko Safari Kit

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko Safari Kit
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 11:58:01 +0200
>On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Matthias Wilke wrote:
>
>> >  There are some reputedly fine Sigma APO 400/5.6 in OM mt.
>> >
>> >                                        *= Doris Fang =*
>> I would say, if you have the opportunity to take photos in Kenya, you
>> should avoid the above lens. There are fine third party tele lenses around
>> (especially with brighter apertures), but this one is not among them.
>
>   The 400/6.3 Zuiko would be the way to go, I guess. What 400 would
>you recommend, Matthias ?
>
>                                      *= Doris Fang =*

I know the Sigma APO 400/5,6 and that Russian mirror lens with 500/5,6. The
latter convinced me, the Sigma doesn't. I think the Zuiko 400/6,3 has the
same high standard as the other Zuiko teles, it's expensive and rare second
hand, but it's the way to go indeed I think. Then the Tamron 400/4 seems to
be very good, too, but it's also expensive and rare. The Tokina 400/5,6
seems to be not much better than the Sigma according to the lens test
archive at (http://www.photodo.com).
Then there are those very cheap 500/8 (and 400/6,5) lenses which are
available under different brand names. They are simple constructed and
light, but I have heard several times, that they are astonishing usable
(among others, Fritz Poelking shows an example picture in a book written by
himself, in the print there was no visible difference to the other pictures
in this book). But I have tried only the both above mentioned lenses and I
would really avoid this Sigma lens when photographing at such an
interesting location as Kenya is.

Matthias