Re: [OM] Zuiko Safari Kit (follow-up)

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko Safari Kit (follow-up)
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 01:17:21 EST
 KFrohling@xxxxxxx writes:
The one consistent comment was the need for _l o n g_ glass.
I guess I'll start looking for the best deals out there.
 Cheers, Kerry Frohling >>

Hi Kerry,
Hate to disagree with all the advice you have received on the need for a
really Long Tele, but I personally feel the best all around lens for your
trip, and for BIG GAME, would be a 300mm.  While 400 & 500mm's come into their
own (especially small game) and do offer some advantages.  It is very
difficult to get satisfactory results with these long lenses.  To expect
acceptable results with a 400+mm lens on a small "travel" tripod may be
wishful thinking.
Just as in our own National Parks, most of your opportunities will probably
come from a vehicle, not walking around with a tripod/long tele over your
shoulder.
The 300mm will give you very good results (Braced) handheld.  I would never
consider shooting a 400 much less a 500mm without a rock solid support.  One
of the best supports for the 300mm, I have used, is a Shoulder Stock.  But, I
do not use this with a 400mm.
Good luck on your trip and shoot lots of film.
Buddy Walters