[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #809

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #809
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrickg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 13:43:50 -0800
>I am thinking of getting into astrophotography.   Can I do anyting of any
>substance right off of the camera, or do I need to go full bore with a 8"
>telescope, autoglider, etc....
>
>Would a 800-1000mm Zoom mirror f8-f12 be sufficient or will it not capture
>anything very well?
>
>Best regards,
>Peter

Peter,
        You would have to define "substance".  There are plenty of
astrophotographers on tap here and on the amature astronomy list who could
comment.  I think you may be overly concerned with FL and bells and
whistles.  Even when I use my telescope for astrophotography, more often
than not I am using my OM1n "piggyback" rather than at prime focus (but
that is just me).  A much more cost effective approach would be a "Scotch"
or "barn door" mount.  Home building instructions abound for these and the
performance is quite good.  OM1 or 1n is certainly a great choice for
astrophotography.  Until you learn to take credible pix with lenses in the
range of 35 to 85mm going for more sophisticated equipment is a waste.
        If you are independently wealthy disregard the above and buy a few
hundred pounds (weight, not English money) of expensive astrophotography
stuff.  Lets stay in touch for a few months, I would like to buy some
excellent equipment at pennies on the dollar.

Patrick <G><G><G>