[OM] Smoke & Mirrors

Subject: [OM] Smoke & Mirrors
From: kelton <kelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 99 19:09:51 -0800
3 questions: Smoke & Mirrors & Variable Focusing

1) Smoke: I'm thinking about picking up my first Zuiko macro lens. (I've
fiddled around with extension rings and the 40cm closeup lens long
enough.) I've been thinking about the 50 f3,5; the 50 f2; and the 90.
Having recently been disappointed by the shallow depth of field I get
with *just the closeup filter*, I'm beginning to wonder why I should even
consider the 50f2 or the 90 -- when would I ever use the speed these two
lenses offer, if I never plan to use them in place of standard lenses of
the same length? In general, what's the point of fast macro glass (aside
from the "wow" factor)? Is there a good reason for it, or is fast macro
glass just "blowing smoke"? Do any of you really use your superfast f/2
macros wide open when shooting macro? Or do you just mount your fast
macros on your camera to impress the rest of us, and make the excuse that
you can now use your macro as your normal lens, too?

2) Mirrors: Have we discussed the Zuiko 500 mm f/8 recently? (Haven't
checked the archives yet). What's your take on this lens? Given the
price, what are decent non-Zuiko alternatives for catadioptrics? I
recently found a T-mount 500f8 Celestron in a pawn shop for $200 US.
Celestron usually makes good stuff. Decent? Other alternatives? Do any of
you own mirror lenses for your OMs? Are ya happy?

3) VF: I recently saw an odd piece, a Vivitar Series 1 "auto variable
focusing" 35-85mm f2.8 lens for OM. I'm guessing that "AVF" means you
have to refocus it at each focal length you select. I recall, from years
ago, this particular lens being mentioned with favor. Is my memory
correct? Is it a good lens? Is it a desireable lens? Do any of you own
and love this lens?

Kelton