Re: [OM] Smoke & Mirrors

Subject: Re: [OM] Smoke & Mirrors
From: Kenneth Sloan <sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 00:17:04 -0600

> 2) Mirrors: Have we discussed the Zuiko 500 mm f/8 recently? (Haven't
> checked the archives yet). What's your take on this lens? Given the
> price, what are decent non-Zuiko alternatives for catadioptrics? I
> recently found a T-mount 500f8 Celestron in a pawn shop for $200 US.
> Celestron usually makes good stuff. Decent? Other alternatives? Do any of
> you own mirror lenses for your OMs? Are ya happy?

I have a 15 year old Tokina 500mm f/8 (more like T/10) mirror that I
like a lot. Give me bright sunlight, a monopod, and a seat in the
stadium at a high school soccer game and it's perfect.

The donut-shaped out-of-focus effects are an acquired taste.  Lots of
light is necessary - but I've been known to handhold at the beach (I
used to be on the rifle team...)  On a monopod I can go down to 1/60sec.
When I was young and foolish I even added a 2X converter to get
something like a 1000mm T/20 that was still easy to handle (but, in
truth, even I could see the loss in quality - this sort of thing is only
useful in a real emergency).

It's light, simple, and robust - in the OM tradition.  No need for a
separate tripod socket, it still feels like a lens on the body (rather
than the other way around).  It's so small that for years it lived in
its own case inside my ratty Tenba2 bag that I carried everywhere.  The
Tenba2 bag is more crowded now, so the Tokina is usually naked - but it
still goes to every soccer game with me.  When the light fails, I have
to move to something shorter and faster, like a 200mm f/5...

--
Kenneth Sloan                                            sloan@xxxxxxx
Computer and Information Sciences                       (205) 934-2213