Re: [OM] Smoke & Mirrors--50F2.0

Subject: Re: [OM] Smoke & Mirrors--50F2.0
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 02:32:58 EST
In a message dated 3/9/99 10:51:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<
 1) Smoke: I'm thinking about picking up my first Zuiko macro lens. (I've
 fiddled around with extension rings and the 40cm closeup lens long
 enough.) I've been thinking about the 50 f3,5; the 50 f2; and the 90.
 Having recently been disappointed by the shallow depth of field I get
 with *just the closeup filter*, I'm beginning to wonder why I should even
 consider the 50f2 or the 90 -- when would I ever use the speed these two
 lenses offer, if I never plan to use them in place of standard lenses of
 the same length? In general, what's the point of fast macro glass (aside
 from the "wow" factor)? Is there a good reason for it, or is fast macro
 glass just "blowing smoke"? Do any of you really use your superfast f/2
 macros wide open when shooting macro? Or do you just mount your fast
 macros on your camera to impress the rest of us, and make the excuse that
 you can now use your macro as your normal lens, too?

     The 50F2.0 is sharp and fast, hence you can use it as a single lens in
your bag, as opposed to carrying both a 1.4 and 3.5. Also, since both macros
have their lens shade built in(the fact that their lens elements are deeply
recessed compared to the standard 1.8, 1.4 and 1.2 normals) reduces the time
needed to prepare to shoot, and lessens the chance of damage to the front
element in packing and crowds, etc.  Also, if you have standardized on other
"55mm" thread lenses and use filters to any degree, a reduction in clutter
exist--for example I use the 100mmF2.0 as my main lens which has a 55mm filter
thread, and I will be thinking of getting the 50F2.0 at some point if I elect
to stay with OM.  Also, if shooting wide open is important to you, the OM
50F2.0 had (as I recall) the highest rating of any 50 wide open, including the
M summicron by Pop Photo!

Alex