[OM] OMs and Ektachrome VS

Subject: [OM] OMs and Ektachrome VS
From: "George M." <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 00:16:49 -0800
Folks;

Last weekend I spent in Yosemite under the light of the full moon.
While there, I took some night photos with some Zuikos using the new
Kodak Ektachrome VS slide film.  I looked at the results tonite. My
impressions:

Both the 28/2 and 35/2 needed to be stopped down to F/2.8 to control
coma toward the edges.  The coma is clearly evident in fairly bright
stars at F/2.  Both lenses produced superb slides at F/2.8  Sharp enough
for 11x14s I'm sure.

The 90/2 showed little or no distortion wide open. Really tack sharp
slides at F/2 and several minutes exposure.

The 16/3.5 fisheye provided some extremely interesting compositions. It
needed to be closed down to f/4 to sharpen up enuf for my taste.

The big news though is the film. This new Ektachrome VS is simply
fantastic.  The daylight shots I took were crisp and extrememly
colorful, but not 'Disney-chromish' like Velvia can be.  And the full
moon lit shots were the best I've ever seen.  Colors are vivid, details
are sharp and there's zero detectable reciprocity failure up to the 3 or
4 minute exposures I took. And even better, no color shift either.  At
2-3 minutes under the full moon, the colors are very believable.  I'll
be using up my remaining Velvia and switching to this film.

George