Re: [OM] Smoke & Mirrors

Subject: Re: [OM] Smoke & Mirrors
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 00:41:20 +0000
When would you use the speed? - every time you look through the viewfinder.  I
recall Gary Reese pointed out from his recent testing session how easy the 90mm
f2
macro was to focus accurately

Why on earth would you plan not to use such a lens for other than macro use?
Any of
the lenses you mentioned are superb for general use.  These lenses are costly
so
why would you not want to utilise their superb performance for all types of
photography?  This is one of the nice things about such lenses, they can be
used for
general photography so their high cost can be partly offset by not needing to
acquire other lenses of comparable focal length.  The 90mm f2, for instance,
can
stand in for the 85mm f2, 100mm f2 and 100mm f2.8 in general photography and
for the
50mm f3.5 and F2 macros in macro photography.

One of the characteristics of most lenses is that their optimum performance is
usually achieved when they are stopped down one or two stops.  So for example,
the
50mm f2 is likely to out perform the 50mm f3.5 at f3.5.  I have certainly used
my
90mm f2 for macro at f2.8, especially when shooting hand held to maximise
shutter
speed.

I have a Tamron 500mm f8 SP mirror, however I find it quite lacking in contrast
in
comparison with the Zuiko 300mm f4.5 + 1.4x TC, for example.  I now use it as a
spotting scope and the zuiko for photography.

If you were hoping that I would tell you that the general rule of "you get what
you pay for" does not apply to Zuikos then I am sorry, but I have not found
this to
be the case.

Now I think I shall just sling my 4Ti + 90mm f2 combo in front of my loins and
go
and impress someone.

Giles