[OM] diagonal confusion; cheap silver-oxide cells

Subject: [OM] diagonal confusion; cheap silver-oxide cells
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 06:25:23 -0800
"I disagree somewhat with you on the diagonal split image. The advantage is that
you can use the screen for both horizontal and vertical as you state. However,
there aren't nearly as many diagonal lines as horizontal and vertical.

"In addition, the only time the diagonal split image wouldn't work is when the
diagonal of the split image and the object to be focused on are both in the same
plane. How often would that happen?"

The split diagonal is _not_ used to focus on diagonal lines. My original posting
should have read "because it is more difficult to see when diagonalLY SPLIT
lines are correctly aligned."

Split diagonal rangefinders aren't commonly used because they aren't as
accurate. (Or more precisely, it is more difficult to focus consistently with
them.) The "width" of the split line is 40 0reater, making it harder to decide
when the two lines are matched up. It's a tradeoff between precision and
convenience.

"Best place I've found in the USA to buy 357s is Radio Shack for about $2.57 US.
Any of the other chain stores routinely do better than that?"

That might be a "good" retail price, but it's terrible compared to mail order.
There are watch-supply companies (such as Zantech) that sell for much less. You
can stock up on other cells you need at the same time. Even with a couple of
bucks for shipping, you're still way ahead. Try

    http://www.zantechinc.com/

I've done business with them many times (I have a drawer full of watch-repair
tools!), and they're good folk.