Re: [OM] OM-3Ti+ F280 ??

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3Ti+ F280 ??
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:15:37 +0100
:I just acquired an F280 flash, which I intend to use on an OM-3-Ti body.
:While I have the instruction booklets for both the 3Ti and the F280, it
:is not entirely clear to me what all of my options are (the F280 manual
:doesn't mention the 3Ti, while the 3Ti manual says "to use it in Normal
:mode, see the F280 manual".

First you decide what kind of flash output you want from the F280 by
operating its Mode selector: Super FP, Manual or Normal (=TTL/OTF). Then you
set the Flash Mode dial on the 3Ti accordingly. For Manual, it should be
'X', for Normal it should be 'TTL Auto Flash' and for Super FP it doesn't
matter.

:In the meantime...is there anything seriously wrong with simply setting
:the 3Ti to "Auto Flash", setting the F280 to "Super FP", and selecting
:aperture to taste?

Well it's not that simple. The F280's working range in Super FP mode also
depends on shutter speed. The F280 manual contains (in the 4Ti part) a graph
that can be used as a guide; it shows the relationship between aperture,
distance and shutter speed. A complicating factor is available light. The
OM-4Ti is probably better capable of Super FP flash because it can measure
the influence of both the flash and available light during exposure.

::While I have no plans to do it at the moment - now might be a good time
:to ask: can I mount the F280 on a Bounce Grip 2?  Do I lose any
:functionality?  What magic cable do I need?

Yes you can - the F280 fits the PBG2 because it has a hole where the T32/T20
have their power plug. So you gain bounce effects (red eye reduction etc)
but you don't gain faster recycling speed and more flashes - the Power Bound
Grip is reduced to what you called it - a Bounce Grip. The cable is called
TTL Auto Cord F0.6m; it is a Shoe Cord; the other side plugs into the F280.
Alternatively, you can use a TTL Auto Cord T0.3 or 0.6m, and plug it into
the PBG2, but then you don't have Super FP capabilities.

:And...in an emergency...is there any point in trying to mate the F280
:with an OM-1?  (I'm not sure I'd ever want to, with a T-45 laying about,
:but...).  Perhaps I'm still in the market for a T-20 or T-32 for the
:OM-1 bodies?

This will only leave Manual Flash mode. The T20, T32 add Normal Auto Mode
(computer flash).  If you have an OM-1n the T flashes activate a flash
ready/ok light. If you only have an OM-1, there's no advantage from a T
series flash compared to any non-dedicated computer flash.

Hans