Re: [OM] re: TAMPA FL/camera store winge

Subject: Re: [OM] re: TAMPA FL/camera store winge
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:17:52 -0500
<<I will be going to Tampa next month. Are there any camera dealers that can
be
recommended that carry used OLY?

Thanks
Ken M>>

Hi Ken,

I live in the Tampa Bay area which includes Tampa, Clearwater and St.
Petersburg.
There are several camera shops that I am aware of.  I no longer frequent any
of them.
Prices are usually very high.  Oly stuff is usually used, on consignment and
expensive.
New equipment is overpriced and customer service is rude.
You may want to call Camera One in Sarasota and see what they have.

Does this sound negative?
I hate to be negative but it seems that independent camera stores can not
compete with mail order because of the low volume and high overhead.
Their solution is to charge as much as possible.  This just gets them less
business.
In my opinion, the poor sales figures frustrate the owners and they get a
bad attitude.
I truly wish that I could walk into a camera shop and trust the sales
person, get
good service (with a smile) and pay a competitive price.
I would pay _a little more_ to be able to handle the equipment in the shop
and have my vendor only a few miles away.  I miss the personal touch but
unless things improve, B&H here I come.

Charlie L