Re: [OM] 75-150 True Zoom?

Subject: Re: [OM] 75-150 True Zoom?
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 16 Mar 1999 07:29:34 +1000
Chuck Castleton <ccastleton@xxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and
spake thusly:

> Well, in the last month I've discovered both this list and EBay.  It's
> been kind of a yin-and-yang, Jekyll-and-Hyde thing, but it has rekindled
> my passion for my OM setup.
>
> I recently purchased a Zuiko 75-150 f4 from a local repair shop.  It's
> a great lens.  However, everything I've read on Hans' SIF web site and
> other sources says this should be a true zoom lens - i.e. no refocusing
> required when you change the focal length.

It's certainly *NOT* a varifocal.

> This is definitely not the
> case with my lens - I have to refocus after zooming.  Are there
> different versions of the 75-150?  Did I get a lemon?  Should the shop
> be able to readjust to correct this problem?

Depth of field will contract when you increase the focal length.

What *appears* "in focus" at 75mm may *not* be in focus at 150mm.

However, if you focus at 150mm, and zoom out to 75mm, your in-focus
object should remain in focus.

If you see other effects, your lens is faulty.

> Another question - I'm going to Alaska next month and may get a chance
> to do some flying in a small plane.  Any suggestions for getting good
> aerial shots with my OM-1?

Beware vibration---touch as little of the plane as possible.   Try
to get a high-wing plane.