Re: [OM] Homepage

Subject: Re: [OM] Homepage
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:57:53 -0500
At 04:37 PM 3/15/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I am curious regarding your technique for scanning.  I have not seen
>your site yet, but I will, I promise.
>Obviously, the desire is to scan at the highest rate possible for best
>appearence, but you also have to end up with a low enough DPI  to keep
>web.
>Right now I scan at 300 DPI, resize to 150 DPI, then "convert to web
>image" at 90 DPI.  I am still new at this.  Others may have a better
>technique.
>How do you scan  for the best results on the web?

I'm using a slide scanner usually, so this may not apply...

I believe web images should be made at 72dpi.

My slide scanner software asks me what _size_ image I want. Obviously, the
largest you would possibly want would be 640x480, as that's the size of a
low-res 14" monitor. My slide scanner scans at 96dpi, so I convert to
72dpi, and resize the image down to about 4" x 5" max. Then save as jpg at
3 level. Then I reduce the size to thumbnail and do a 'save as' on the
thumbnail.

Regards,
Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com
Panoramic and 360deg Immersive Images at
        www.threehundredsixty.com