Re: [OM] Homepage

Subject: Re: [OM] Homepage
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:18:52 -0600
At 04:37 PM 3/15/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I am curious regarding your technique for scanning.  I have not seen
>your site yet, but I will, I promise.
>Obviously, the desire is to scan at the highest rate possible for best
>appearence, but you also have to end up with a low enough DPI  to keep
>web.
>Right now I scan at 300 DPI, resize to 150 DPI, then "convert to web
>image" at 90 DPI.  I am still new at this.  Others may have a better
>technique.
>How do you scan  for the best results on the web?
>
>John

John,

PMFJI, but all things being equal, you are probably better off avoiding any
resizing that you can.  So if you want to print at 300 dpi, try to scan to
that resolution.  If you have to resize, obviously it's best to resize
downwards, so scan initially to your highest needed resolution.

Remember that an ordinary photographic print usually has only about 100 dpi
worth of detail in it (so I'm told), or at the most about 200 dpi.  But
apparently scanning to the desired resolution for whatever output you want
and avoiding resizing is the ticket to the highest quality output.

It looks to me as though you're doing it right, although I don't understand
why you're resizing to 150 dpi as an intermediary step.

Joel