[OM] Super FP confusion

Subject: [OM] Super FP confusion
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:57:19 -0800
"Since I started this particular thread, and since I'm still confused, let me
see if I have this straight. You are saying that the output of the F280 in Super
FP mode is IDENTICAL on each and every exposure, completely INDEPENDENT of any
camera setting and any available light? In other words... it's a heap of flash
powder -- best used for shots of tourists wearing floppy hats posing in front of
the Grand Canyon?"

Well, I don't know about the subject matter <grin>, but, yes, "that's the way it
is."

There is no point to Super FP _except_ for fill-in. The OM cameras and lenses do
not have the mechanisms and electronics that would allow automatic Super FP
operation. Perhaps the IS-30 will be capable of automatic Super FP fill-in.

"No, the OM-4T(i) DOES provide automatic Super FP flash. It does it by
controlling the shutter. As the first curtain begins to open the flash starts
emitting. The second curtain is released as soon as enough light has been
metered. The flash continues emitting at the same brightness until the second
curtain is fully closed. It's like turning on a photoflood right before you take
the picture, then using OTC/OTF metering to determine the shutter speed."

Nope. Look at it this way. Super FP is used _only_ for fill-in. Under such
conditions, the base exposure is controlled by the ambient light -- the flash is
merely a weak fill. There isn't enough light from the flash to have much of an
influence on shutter speed. (If there _were_, the light would be too bright to
be a fill. Right?)

Sorry, but (as far as I can tell), Super FP is not automatic. The camera and
lenses do not have the mechanisms needed to produce automatic fill.

"As long as the flash is set on Super FP and the camera on automatic, the flash
is in control of the camera which sets itself to the exposure time required for
proper exposure."

Talk about a self-contradictory statement!

"IMHO the way Super FP flash was implemented on the OM-3Ti is rather crippled;
hopefully the next OM camera ;-) will just ditch Super FP and give us a 1/250
sync instead..."

Amen. That's the best solution.