Re: [OM] Super FP confusion

Subject: Re: [OM] Super FP confusion
From: Omer Nezih GEREK <gerek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:11:01 +0100 (MET)
On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

> synch, and whether it is purely fill, depends on the scene. And who's to say
> that automatic fill flash up to 1/2000  is "bad" or a gimmick? I, for one,
> enjoy this automatic fill flash outdoors.

I really agree on that. Although I previously thought that a faster
synch speed would be helpful, I started to realize by experiment that it
is in fact the duration of the flash pulse that freezes the scene. And,
for the outdoor flash, you only need it for fill in at rather short
distances, so F280 is perfect for that. Furthermore, I do not see much
difference for normal use of GN-28 and GN-32 (T32), and F280 is very
convenient for daylight photography, so I pick the F280 over T32, almost
all the time for travel. I never had a washed out face, or an inaccurate
exposure with the 4T + F280.

> And yes, the OM-4t and OM-77 sense the flash output and will shorten the
> exposure (by controlling the shutter speed as needed) DURING the exposure. You
> don't need any special camera/lenses mechanisms as you state. (Do you mean
> distance information?) Cameras have been doing automatic flash for years
> without any distance input.

For normal automatic flash, the output power is controlled by the
exposure on film, anyway. The only problem may be when the flashed object
is out of the center, and the background is dark, so the object is
over-exposed. But, then, most of the wonderbricks does not focus to the
off-center objects (especially at low light) and falls into the same
problem by calculating the wrong distance (and exposure).

And for Super-FP, the average light intensity surrounding the object
comes from daylight (usually), so the FP mode supplies an almost daylight
intensity at modest intensities.

So, normally, no problem.