Re: [OM] Happy Lens Mounts

Subject: Re: [OM] Happy Lens Mounts
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 13:59:12 +1000
Kelton wrote:

> I've
> noticed that a glance at the lens mount surface can quickly tell you the
> amount of use a camera or lens may have seen.

What I can't stand is people who leave crud on the mount and then
let it grind into the surface. A dirty mount implies abuse, but a
clean mount might have been recently replaced.

> Is it helpful to ... use some kind of light lubricant on the lens
> mount surface?

Absolutely not. It would migrate onto the glass and damage it, into
the camera and damage that, and onto your fingers and cause you to
drop an expensive lens, and it would collect dirt. Mounting and
dismounting will, if anything, tend to polish the surfaces smoother,
so lubrication is not required. (Another example where lubrication
isn't needed between metal parts is a railway track and wheel.)

> What wisdom
> do you have to share on the topic of lens mount hygiene?

Clean with metho (US: rubbing alcohol, UK: paraffin) regularly.
Make sure you clean the insides of lens rear caps.