Re: [OM] Super FP confusion, RANT II

Subject: Re: [OM] Super FP confusion, RANT II
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:52:37 -0500
<<Well, since it's FILL flash, and you're outdoors, you don't have to think
about controlling it. In fact, you don't _control_ it. The flash isn't
powerful enough to wash out your ambient exposure, just fills the shadows.

George S.>>

What is being described is 1-1 flash + ambient exposure (theoretically).
Maybe the unit is not strong enough to really give 1-1 at some distances,
but that is just inadequate power.
I think someone warned of being too close. (too much power?)
Doesn't anyone remember how to calculate ratios with fill flash?
Why did we learn to control it if there is no reason to think about
controlling it?
I would think that a system that calls itself auto fill flash would have
some control
of the ratio of fill.  You can do this with a Vivitar 285 on any manual
camera.
You are just restricted to synch speed.
Sure, the FP works for fill at the proper distance/fstop.  What is the
proper distance though?  You would need a flash meter to tell.
So I conclude that you are much better off with the T20-32 and some
knowledge of ratio fill than a Super FP with no control, Unless you really
need fast shutter speeds
with flash fill.
BTW, I have a low end auto focus Minolta that will give you 2-1 ratio fill
at the push of a button.

**************The opinions expressed here are strictly mine regarding super
FP with the OM system and in no way do I intend to make my Olies angry at

Charlie L