Re: [OM] Where to find Oly. Pen Info

Subject: Re: [OM] Where to find Oly. Pen Info
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 02:15:51 -0000
From: Skip Williams
Subject: [OM] Where to find Oly. Pen Info

>1. Is there a complete (or close to complete) overview of the various
>Olympus Pen cameras and lenses?

I haven't seen one.

>2. I've become intrigued by these cameras.  Does anyone have practical
>experience with them?  Like exposure accuracy, lens quality.
I used the Fen F and FT for years until I was silly enough to sell my last
one in the late '70s. Kodachrome slides from them were superb when projected
using a Leitz Prodovit Color and 50mm Colorplan. At that time any other film
I tried was too grainy. With my Pen FT the t.t.l. exposure meter was spot on
when it normal vertical mode but underexposed around 1 stop when turned for
landscape mode. Remember both models were designed to use mercury batteries!
The Pen F meter had no off switch as such; you had to cover the CdS cell
with a small, easily lost, cap.

>3. Any recommended lenses?
I only had the standard 38mm f1.8. The aperture ring was reversible for use
with either the Pen F's standard apertures or the FT's metering numbers 0 to
6. A 25mm lens was available but it was very much more expensive than the
Pen W camera which came complete with one. The zoom lens - 50 to 100? I
forget its exact range - was generally highly regarded.

>4. Has anyone put OM Zuiko's on a Pen?  Is the adapter still available?
I used the OM's Zuikos 50mm and 135mm and a 80-200 Sun zoom. The adaptor had
no auto iris mechanism and with the FT you had to use the DOF button on the
OM lens and meter and expose with it stopped down. You had to remember to
remove the meter on the Pen F or the adaptor would jam solidly against it! I
doubt if the adaptor is still available new.

Regards,
Keith
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx