Re: [OM] Re:Super FP Flash (as I understand it)

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:Super FP Flash (as I understand it)
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 16:30:50 -0500
<<Charlie, you're missing the point of the F280. Remember all those bokeh
discussions we've had? You don't get it at 1/60 or even 1/250 in full
sunlight. That's only 5.6 (assuming 100 ASA and you want the fill about 1.5
stops under) when you want to be wider than 2.8 for a nice smooth
background. Combined with a decent portrait lens and shot wide open (2.0),
the result is a photo no other 35mm system can duplicate -- with minimal
weight/hassle.>>

What about any manual camera with a fast lens a high shutter speed and
a reflector?

<< No you can't control the ratio, except by moving the flash,
but it does a good job for what it's intended.>>

You would probably need a ND filter to slow the shutter down to 1/2000.
(top speed on a OM 4Ti)
If we are talking about on camera flash then you should have a good feel for
the power of the unit and if it needed some diffusion for the desired effect
at X distance.

<<Essentially *all* on-camera flashes and potatoe mashers are for amateurs
or
photogs who just need grab shots (news, weddings, sports). When I'm serious
about making portraits, I pull out the 800w battery-powered flash pack,
softboxes, stands and handheld meter...ultimate control but it doesn't fit
in a camera bag ;-)>>

I think I know some portrait photographers who would take acceptation to
that statement.  There is some serious outdoor portrait photography going
on.
Ask Monte Zucker.  They also are great for in church shots etc.
See Shutterbug Nov 98 Pg 42 photo 3.

**What am I doing making points about a flash I have never used?**
Maybe I should go sit down now! :-)

Charlie L.