Re: [OM] auction pricing

Subject: Re: [OM] auction pricing
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank.van.Lindert@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 13:40:01 GMT
On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 16:41:34 -0800 (PST), Dan Lau
<dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 18:52, WKato@xxxxxxx wrote:
>>  Also you can find a good deal with the last
>>item listed of identical items. What is the group's take on this?
>
>That is so untrue of eBay.  That was the point I was trying to make
>with my earlier post.  Given identical items, there is no logic as
>to why one item gets a lot of bids and ends up with a high selling
>price and another one gets a few bids and goes for a low price.
>With a list of identical items, sometimes it is one in the middle
>that does not get noticed.
>
>Granted there is some truth to what Gary said about "presentation"
>and the combination of things (lens caps, case, etc.)  But for the
>life of me, I cannot figure out why there is such a big difference
>in price for similar items.
>       -Dan

Important for the number (and consequently the height) of the bids are
(my personal view!):

1. Good picture of the item offered
2. Good and informative description of the actual item (not copying
complete manuals like some people do)
3. Rating of seller's feedback. I always check!
4. Name/userID/email address of seller (I tend to avoid hotmail and
other 'free' email addresses)
5. Seller being a dealer or a private person. If you bid often you
learn to tell them apart, and you will avoid the dealers. For
instance: if a handling fee applies, you will probably do business
with a professional dealer. So you will if sales tax is mentioned.
6. Day of the week and time of the day of auction end (not on Monday!)
Most bids are made in the last hours/minutes before an auction is
ended
7. Whether a reserve has been set or not. I think every reserve and
also the reserve met/unmet condition should also be visible in the
listings! I used to avoid reserve auctions, but this is no longer
feasible - almost all have a reserve now.
8. Shipping/paying terms.

Of course there must be more....

Frank van Lindert, experienced eBay buyer (and less experienced
seller).