Re: [OM] Why would someone pay too much for something on eBay? Here's w

Subject: Re: [OM] Why would someone pay too much for something on eBay? Here's why I ...
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 00:50:36 +0100
PCACala@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Dave and others:
>
> The Internet makes geographical boundaries irrelevant.  The whole world is the
> marketplace.  The search engines are in place to make the information
> available to anyone, anywhere.

I'd wish it were as well, but there are still some boundaries. I can search the
entire net for good offerings, but some are not worth pursuing; not due to
the price offered, but to duty regulations. From my location (Denmark) a seller
within the EU is more attractive than one from the outside. Goods from
outside the EU is subjected to added duty and sales tax, so the price in
an EU country can be 30 0gher and still be competitive.
So much for free trade :-(

> I think you underestimate the craftiness of Internet-based buyers and sellers.
> There ARE folks with all the information at hand to make quite educated
> determinations of the value of an item, no matter what the item.  And they
> aren't likely to let the information go for free (re: "post it on the WWW).

True, but a few evenings of browsing and search will give a you some sense
of what price is reasonable, or at least common, for any item. Granted, that
works best for the more common stuff.

> << But when was the last time you got ads for used Olympus equiment in your
> in-box? >>
>
> Virtually every day.
>
> Gary Reese
> Las Vegas, NV

Regards
Lars
--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> http://isa.dknet.dk/~lhaven
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"