[OM] Re: X-rays

Subject: [OM] Re: X-rays
From: Norm <normc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 03:42:26 +0000
I was interested to read that its possible to insist on a hand search of film
carried as
hand-luggage over there in the US.  Unfortunately, here in Europe that doesn't
seem to be always
the case.  In my experience of the London airports, the security staff will try
to insist that
whatever you're carrying goes through the machine.  The machines have a notice
displayed on them
along the lines of "This machine will not harm photographic film" or somesuch.
I always insist on
a hand-search, with mixed results.  If you're polite but insistant, very often
they will
hand-search, but more than once they've politely insisted that my film gets
zapped.  If you can
time your trip through security so there isn't a queue backing up behind you,
it helps.