Re: [OM] EC import equipment

Subject: Re: [OM] EC import equipment
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 20:28:39 +0100
Abbinga wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> Are there people (E.C. residents, especially dutch) who have experience with
> what the customs charge you when you get something send from the USA. Makes
> it any difference if is is from a shop or from a person (through Ebay?)
>
> Thanks
>
> Ab Abbinga

I am reasonably sure the rules vary between the countries, in spite
of the ongoing harmonization process. When I have imported goods
into Denmark from the US I have been charged 3.6 0uty of the declared
value and 25% moms (VAT) on top of that. One of our Sweedish friends
mentioned a higher rate, something like 500f duty and VAT combined.
The final authority is your local customs office, but I suppose
one of our other frinds from Holland have tried this.

I doubt that the customs office cares if the seller is private
or commercial, but here customs has been known to be easy on
shipments marked as a gift on the declarations label.

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> http://isa.dknet.dk/~lhaven
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"